One of our local newscasters highly recommended a sandwich joint on the morning show a couple of months ago. My husband joked that he is ruined for those kind of places because we have gourmet sandwiches at home all of the time and he likes ours better. I think one of the secrets is definitely a great bun or roll and I make my own but you can get good ones at the deli or store. Then just have fun with it. It is a great way to use leftover meat if you don’t feel like making something new. Fry or grill up some veggies (onions, mushrooms, peppers or whatever), maybe some sun dried tomatoes, add your favorite cheese maybe lettuce and tomatoes, then add your favorite dressing or olive oil. Sometimes with enough delicious veggies you don’t even need a sauce. Everyone is willing to pay big bucks at the restaurant for a delicious sandwich when you can make it for a fraction of the cost at home. This is the version we had tonight.
Delicious Chicken Sandwich
- Bun or roll of your choice (I used a homemade Jalapeno Cheddar Roll)
- Marinated Chicken (recipe below)
- Roasted Red Pepper (recipe below)
- Slices of cheese of your choice
Marinated Chicken Breast
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- Pound Chicken out so it is of even thickness throughout (optional)
- Pour marinade ingredients into resealable gallon bag, mix around.
- Add chicken, squeeze out air and seal bag. Set the bag in a bowl in the fridge for 4 hours to overnight.
- Grill over medium heat til no longer pink inside or cook however you choose.
Roasted Red Peppers
- Red Peppers
- Olive Oil
- Halve the red peppers and remove stems, seeds and membranes.
- Rub olive oil all over both sides of the pepper.
- Put on preheated medium heat grill (skin side down) or under broiler in the oven (skin side up).
- Allow the pepper to cook until there is charring to the skin of the pepper.
- Remove the pepper and put in a paper bag and allow it to steam for about ten or fifteen minutes.
- Pull out the pepper and rib off the charred skin.