Here is another idea to use with your bread machine pizza dough recipe from my earlier post.
First of all let me tell you that I kind of came upon this idea by accident. It’s not that I had never heard of breakfast pizza, I had just never eaten it or made it. Alyssa and two of her friends from nursing school are on the night shift on Sunday nights for the next little while and I offered to fix breakfast for them when they are done on Monday mornings before they head to bed. Last week I made French Toast and bacon and I wanted to come up with something new today but I didn’t want to have to get up 2 hours before they got here either. That’s when I thought, breakfast pizza is a thing, how about if I make my pizza crust dough before I go to bed and put it in the fridge, then roll it out in the morning, put the toppings on it and bake it.
I put my bacon in the oven on a foil covered cookie pan (with edges because you need to catch the grease) at 400 degrees as soon as I woke up. The bacon took about 25 minutes but I used thick cut and we like ours crispy so yours might take less. As soon as the bacon came out of the oven I turned the oven up to 450 degrees.
As soon as the bacon was in the oven, I began to prepare the eggs. I used a fork to whip together 6 eggs and 2 tablespoons whipping cream, I whipped them until the mixture looked uniform and put them in a small sauce pan with a little butter melted in the bottom. I cooked them over low heat (about a 2, just over the actual “low” setting) on top of the stove and used a spatula to stir the sides and bottom every few minutes. It took 10 to 15 minutes for them to be cooked through. Stir them often though.
I also had leftover little smokies from the pretzel bites that I made this weekend. I cut those into little pieces.
I topped it all of with cheese. I had some Colby cheese and some Cheddar Jack, I used both of them shredded.
While my bacon and eggs were cooking, I broke off about 1/3 of my dough from the fridge ( I was only feeding 2 girls cuz Alyssa doesn’t eat eggs, bacon or little smokies). I rolled it into a circle (about 10 inch diameter). I also put the pizza stone in the oven to heat it while the bacon was cooking. I put the pizza crust on a sheet of parchment paper on another baking pan that I could use to transport the pizza crust to the oven and slide it off onto the hot pizza stone when it was time to cook the pizza.
After the crust was rolled out, I spread out the prepared, scrambled eggs over the crust. I crumbled the bacon over the top of the eggs and did the same with the little smokie pieces. I then covered it all with the shredded cheese and slid the crust onto the hot pizza stone in the oven. It took about 12 minutes to cook. The cheese just needs to be melted and the crust should be light brown. Use a metal spatula to lift an edge of the pizza and make sure it is lightly browned on the bottom as well.
Of course you could add sausage, jalapenos or anything that sounds good to your family. It was a big hit with the girls. Of course I made cinnamon/sugar bread sticks for Alyssa because, well, she’s Alyssa :). I may try it this weekend with hash browns and green chili since that is what we put on breakfast burritos.
You can make your crust up to 3 days ahead of time and keep it in your refrigerator. You can also have your eggs, bacon, sausage etc, made up and refrigerated as well. If you were to have all of these things done, it will take you about 10 minutes to roll out your crust and top it, which you can do while your oven heats up. Then 10 to 12 minute to bake it and within 20 minutes you have a hearty, hot breakfast that should delight almost everyone.
- 1/3 pizza dough recipe
- 6 eggs
- 2 Tablespoons whipping cream
- 6 strips of bacon
- 10 little smokies
- 1 cup shredded cheese (Cheddar, Colby, Jack or combination)
- Any toppings you may choose (all meat should be precooked though)
- Cut off about 1/3 of the pizza dough and return the rest to the fridge.
- Place the bacon on a foil lined, baking sheet with sides and place in a 400 degree oven for about 20-25 minutes, depending on how thick your bacon is or how crispy you like it. Or prepare your bacon as you like. Place your pizza stone in the oven toward the end of bacon cooking. Also when your bacon comes out of the oven, turn the oven up to 450 degrees.
- Mix the eggs and whipping cream together in a bowl and mix until the mixture looks uniform and cook over lowish heat on top of your stove in a small sauce pan, stirring sides and bottom every couple of minutes. They should take about 15 minutes.
- Cut little smokies into bite sized pieces.
- Roll pizza dough into a 10 inch circle, place it on a piece of parchment paper on another baking sheet that can be used to transport the pizza to the oven and used to slide the pizza onto the hot pizza stone.
- Spread prepared eggs evenly over the crust.
- Spread the little smokies over the eggs.
- Crumble the bacon over the eggs.
- Cover with shredded cheese.
- Bake in 450 degree oven for approximately 12 minutes (cheese should be melted, crust should be light brown and using a metal spatula lift the crust a little to make sure it is lightly browned as well).
- Make pizza crust ahead of time and have it refrigerated as well as the toppings and you can have your breakfast pizza hot out of the oven and a hearty breakfast for your family in 20 minutes.